- Some mass volume olive oil producers filter their oil so that it can be bottled and sold more quickly. Narragansett Bay Olive Oils are NOT filtered. Our oils are allowed to sit for up to one month after production to allow for a natural settling out of the particulate prior to bottling. This process preserves all the polyphenols! Olio nuovo refers to oil that is bottled immediately after production and still contains the olive particulate. This oil must be consumed quickly as it is susceptible to rancidity.
- Oils labeled as “pure” or “light” are refined oils! Refined oils have been stripped of flavor and polyphenols or anti-oxidants!
- Oils classified as Virgin rather than Extra Virgin are allowed acidity (free fatty acids) of up to 2% and defects up to 3.5 on a scale of 1-10.
- Lax European labeling laws have resulted in many oils entering the US labeled incorrectly as Extra Virgin. It has been estimated that as many as 69% of oils are incorrectly labeled!
- Check out this expose on the Olive Oil import business as reported in the New Yorker magazine - Slippery Business
- Some products labeled as balsamic vinegar are actually imitations produced by adding sugar and artificial flavoring to a base of wine vinegar. Check the label!